VPS Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Email meeting 4/28/17-5/1/17

 Motion was made by Norma Jean Rollet, seconded by Grace Greene, to approve the Bylaws changes as written below in bold.  

ARTICLE 5  BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Section 2:  Number, tenure 

The Board of Directors shall consist of not less than three and no more than nine Officers. 

Proposed change: The Board of Directors shall consist of no fewer than three and no more than ten Officers.

 

ARTICLE 6    OFFICERS

Section 1: General and Elections

The Officers of the VPS shall consist of: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Secretary, and two Members at Large.

Proposed change: The Officers of the VPS shall consist of: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Secretary, Exhibitions Director,  Webmaster,  Director of Hubs, and two Members at Large.

Of 88 VPS members eligible to vote, 51 voted in favor of the motion, 1 against, and 36 abstained. 

Minutes of the Email meeting 5/4/17-5/7/17

Motion was made by Norma Jean Rollet and seconded by Grace Greene and Wendy Soliday, to nominate Judy Albright as the VPS Director of Hubs. 

Information about Judy Albright from her resume was provided as well as the job description for the Director of Hubs as below. 

ARTICLE 6 OFFICERS

Section 9: Director of Hubs

The Director of Hubs will report to the President and be responsible for communication between Regional Hub Point Persons and the VPS Board. The Director of Hubs will coordinate information about Hub activities and pass that information along to the Webmaster, to the Membership Secretary, and/or to the VPS Facebook page editor depending on the need. The Director of Hubs will prepare a report for board meetings twice a year, describing the status of the regional hubs and their activities. The Director of Hubs will maintain contact with each hub point person, advising new Point People of their responsibilities; being a resource for Point People should questions or problems arise; participating in the replacement of Point People should the currently serving one step down. In essence, the Director of Hubs will oversee the VPS Regional Hub Program and work to maintain its stability and growth.

Of the 89 VPS members eligible to vote, 50 voted in favor of the motion and 39 abstained. 

Matthew J Peake

————————————————————

Vermont Pastel Society Board Meeting

May 15, 2017

Present: Norma Rollet, Grace Cothalis, Grace Greene, Cindy Griffith, Matt Peake, Joyce Kahn, Judy Albright

Before the meeting began, treasurer Norma Rollet made a plea to all who collect money for VPS not to hold on to it, but rather to send it to her ASAP.

Hubs

President Matt Peake formally began the meeting with introduction of our newest board member, Judy Albright, Hub Director, and then gave an update on the status of hubs. There are four that have been organized so far: Southeast (Brattleboro); Midstate (Middlebury/Rutland); Central (Montpelier area) and Upper Valley (White River Junction area). Next, Matt will be going to the Manchester/ Bennington area on Wednesday. All hubs are enthusiastic and have many ideas for activities and getting to know one another better. There are not enough members in the St. Johnsbury/Newport area, so the one artist who is there will be invited to join the Central Hub.

Communication

There are a great many topics that VPS needs to communicate to its members: exhibits, shows, workshops and opportunities among them. There needs to be a better way of communicating and indicating what kind of communication each item is. There are currently: a website, a blog (connected to the website) a Facebook page (barely used) and emails on all kinds of news from the Membership Director. Judy Albright shared how Connecticut Pastel Society does their communications, and after much discussion, it was decided to adopt some of their methods.

The main thing is that VPS will get a Constant Contact account (approximately $220) which will enable the organization to communicate in a more professional and consistent manner. Judy and Norma, who are both familiar with Constant Contact, will acquire the license, set up templates for communications (e.g. headings that specify whether the notice is about workshops, opportunities, etc.) and share access and templates with the Board members who need them. As Hub Director, Judy would like newsletter-like information from the hubs, such as a report on a workshop or show; she will compile all the hub information, and sent it out to the membership. Any information calling for ideas or organizing a hub activity will, on the other hand, only go out to hub members and will be sent by the local hub organizer. Constant Contact has many uses besides use as a newsletter; for instance, you can do surveys through it.

In addition, there need to be clear guidelines about what the FB page is for. Carol Corliss tried to get members to send photos of work in progress, but no one did. Cindy will talk to Carol about creating guidelines.

V-cube USA

In very short order the Board declared that the V-Cube USA prices to record our meetings were too expensive, and that most of what we did would not lend itself to being videotaped anyhow. As for workshops, the presenters often make money selling their own videotapes, so would not allow VPS to tape them.

Workshops

Matt reviewed the information about the two workshops we have planned for this year: Desmond O’Hagan and Doug Dawson. Both are a go. There was discussion about finances, and it was re-stated that VPS should make money on all workshops, and that planners should allow for changes and the unexpected when creating a budget. In the case of the Desmond O’Hagan workshop, VPS will subsidize it by approximately $75, a small amount considering how hard the organizer worked to reduce the costs.

Members’ Exhibit

The hubs have arranged for transportation of artists’ paintings to the Southern Vermont Art Center for drop off on May 20 and 21. The show will be up May 27-July 8 and the reception will be held on May 28 from 2:00-4:00.

Membership

Last year there were approximately 100 members, but his year, in spite of several new people joining, we currently have only 89. There was discussion about what to do about this: call, email, letter, or what, and the decision was to send another email with another reminder. Cindy said they always used to send 3 or even 4 emails out, and that people just need several reminders (esp. artists!).

Respectfully submitted,

Grace Worcester Greene

VPS Secretary

 

————————————————————

November 6, 2016-Vermont Pastel Society Annual Meeting,

Center for Carton Studies, White River Junction, November 6, 2016

Present: Carol Eberlein, Kathy Detzer, David Brown, Sarah Albert, Grace Greene, Maggie Smith, Susannah Colby, Jocelyn Randles, Matt Peake, Kate Burn, Janna Fleetwood-Bean, Katrina Thorstensen, Marcia Hill, Jacqueline Call, Norma Jean Rollet, Anne Unangst, Joyce Kahn, Grace Cothalis, Wendy Soliday, Carol Stephens, Pat McPike, Debra Kraemer, Kate Cone, Ellen Questel, Mallory Rich, Angela Arkway

President Cindy Griffith began the meeting at 2:35 by introducing the current board members:

  1. President – Cindy Griffith
  2. Vice President: Grace Cothalis
  3. Secretary: Grace Greene
  4. Treasurer: Norma Jean Rollet
  5. Exhibitions: Anne Unangst
  6. Membership: Debra Kraemer
  7. Member at Large: Joyce Kahn
  8. Member at Large: Wendy Soliday

The first action was to approve the minutes of last year’s annual meeting. They were approved unanimously.

Review of last year’s exhibits and activities

Cindy commended the great job by people who were responsible for setting up the exhibits and getting the awards: Matt Peake and Anne Unangst were co-chairs for exhibits and other members founds the extensive awards over the year.

The Richard McKinley workshop was a success both artistically and financially. Because of the great interest in the workshop, Joyce Kahn, the organizer, used a lottery system which worked very well.

Cindy next showed the group the new website which she has been working on for the last year: http://vermontpastelsociety.com/ There is a rotating gallery of one work per member on the first page, a member gallery, news about exhibits and the Society and lots more, including a membership form. Cindy was thanked and congratulated on all her excellent work.

Norma Jean Rollet presented the treasurer’s report. The Society has a total of $15,438.11. The only changes from last year to this were minor, such as new line items for marketing and demonstrations, $300 for each. The budget was accepted as presented.

Membership chair Debra Kraemer reported that we currently have 99 members, 14 of whom are from out of state. This year renewal forms will be sent out the first week of December, instead of towards the

end of the month. Members who were present were urged to renew at this meeting. Debra will be leaving this position.

Thanks and gifts were given to Board members who were stepping down: Anne Unangst and Debra Kraemer.

The new board was presented, and Matthew Peake, Maggie Smith, Susannah Colby and Cindy Griffith were voted in unanimously. Both new and continuing members are noted below:

President: Matt Peake

Vice President: Grace Cothalis (continuing)

Treasurer: Norma Jean Rollet (continuing)

Secretary: Grace W. Greene (continuing)

Membership: Maggie Smith

Exhibitions: Susannah Colby

Webmaster: Cindy Griffith (continuing – different role)

Member-at-Large: Joyce Kahn

Member-at-Large: Wendy Soliday

At this point, Cindy turned the meeting over to our new president, Matt Peake, who, with the help of Wendy Soliday, presented Cindy with a bag of small gifts to thank her for her years as president.

Matt talked about plans for 2017, and ideas he has to increase membership. He may do a survey to find out what causes people to join and then stay or leave. We also need to look at look at our mission statement to see if we need to update it. In addition, he would like to find ways for people to get to know one another, and to this end introduced the idea of Regional Hubs of the VPS, a concept that the Vermont Watercolor Society has been successfully using for several years. Matt will look into using the idea with the VPS.

Activities for 2017

Vice President Grace Cothalis discussed two workshops that members are putting together: one by Desmond O’Hagan at the end of June, and one by Doug Dawson in September. Each will be for three days. More info will follow.

The new Exhibits Chair, Susannah Colby, presented plans for two shows in 2017: a members’ show at the Southern Vermont Art Center Manchester beginning at the end of May, and a juried show at the Hotel Coolidge in White River Junction in September. They do not yet know which room we will have at SVAC, so cannot say how many pieces can be hung. At the Coolidge, they can take approximately 30 pieces.

Matt then led a discussion of possible activities for 2017 and beyond. We could compile a list of venues for shows. We could work with/ exhibit with the New Hampshire Pastel Society. We could encourage local gatherings such as the one Wendy Soliday did at her house when she showed a DVD from the VPS collection and artists gathered to paint. Mallory Rich (malloryrich57@gmail.com) suggested a paint out such as the one that the Emil Gruppe Gallery does annually in Jericho. She will look into the possibility of us doing this; we have money to pursue it.

There was a lot of enthusiasm for trying new activities, and the membership gave Matt the green light to look into ways to increase our visibility and opportunities.

The meeting ended with a suggestion of taking VPS brochures to distribute to art stores and at classes and workshops.

Respectfully submitted,

Grace Greene